Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Bronze and the Brimstone by Lory Kaufman


This was a book that would be categorized as a young adult book.  This would be another departure from what I usually read.  That is the beauty of free books from Amazon.  I can easily take advantage of unknown authors without being out any money if the book is really bad.  I also don’t feel bad not reading the book because I didn’t spend any money on it.  J

If you have a Kindle and would like to know how I get my free books, let me know.  I would be happy to share.

Now about The Bronze and the Brimstone.
The book is set in the 14th century.  The main characters are 3 time traveling teenagers from the 24th century.  This is actually the 2nd book in the series but you do not need to have read the first to follow it.  I didn’t read book one and had no troubles.

The main character Hansom is being sought after by the man who is the head of Verona.  This man believes that Hansom is a savant because he has brought the idea of a cannon and gun powder into the 14th century.  Hansom can share these ideas because he has an artificial intelligence that guides he and his 2 friends.  

Hansom has convinced the head of Verona that he can be the next emperor if he only follows the plans that Hansom is sharing.  In the end Hansom’s desire to make himself important to this man causes a great deal of trouble.

Hansom has fallen in love with the daughter of his master.  The master has taken the 3 teens in (this happens in the first book) and taught them to be lens makers because Hansom has introduced them to corrective lenses.  The head of Verona, however, wishes for Hansom to marry his beautiful daughter and form an alliance. 

Now, because the main characters are teenagers they tend to behave as teenagers from any century would.  This causes all sorts of conflict throughout the story.  The author also uses it to connect with you the reader.
I did enjoy the way the book ended.  At about chapter 19 I could not figure out how the author was going to wrap it up with a neat little bow.  Then he did it and left me asking for more.  I love it when that happens in a book. J

I enjoyed the book and was a little bummed to discover that the next book in the series has not been released yet.  If you enjoy a bit a time travel, young love and teenage angst then this is the book for you.

Happy Reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment